Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kugan's mother fails to submit petition to King

Police custodial death victim A Kugan's mother today failed to submit a petition asking for the King's intervention in the decision by the authorities not to prosecute all 11 individuals linked to her son's death.

kugan mother sent petition to agong 100310 n indra in black m  manogaran n surendranAt the Palace gates in Kuala Lumpur today, officials refused to accept N Indra's (left in black) petition to the King on grounds that she did not have a formal appointment.

"We have already sent a fax, and wrote to the palace officials according to procedure but now they deny receiving any form of notification," said N Surendran, Indra's lawyer.

Surendran said this was the second time Indra had tried and failed to submit her petition. On her previous attempt, she was barred from doing so by the police.

A palace official who identified himself as Jamalulai Ahmad told reporters that the document could not be received without prior notification.

He also refused to granted Indra a future appointment.

Mother: I want justice

When approached, Indra, a 41-year-old housewife, broke down in tears and said she was merely trying to convince the King to help seek justice or her son.

"I just want the 11 police personnel involved in my son's death to be charged but I can't seem to get justice even from the King," she said in between her sobs.

"I want my son's death to be the last, if I don't take any action against the police now, then there will be more custodial deaths in future."

In January last year, Kugan's death caused an uproar after pictures depicting many injuries on his bodies were widely circulated.

Police initially denied that he was the victim of police abuse.

However, a police constable was charged 10 months later for causing grievous hurt to Kugan, at the interrogation room fo the D9 office at the Taipan police station on Jan 16.

The relatively mild charge shocked many as Attorney-General Abdul Gani Patail had initially classified the case as murder and 11 police personnel involved in the case were transferred out of the station.

Indra was accompanied to the palace by members of the family along with Kapar MP S Manikavasagam, Teluk Intan MP M Manogaran and Port Dickson state assemblyperson M Ravi.

courtesy of Malaysiakini

No comments: