Monday, March 22, 2010

SAPP's reticence irks Sabah DAP

Hostility and suspicion has wedged itself between opposition parties DAP and the Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) over plans for the 13th General Election.

The SAPP, led by Yong Teck Lee, is being pressed to state their stand on working with other opposition parties to challenge the Barisan Nasional government in the general election, which although due in 2013 could come as early as next year.

SAPP, which is seen as a formidable force in state politics, has been tight-lipped about any kind of election pact with the opposition Pakatan Rakyat (PR) coalition which comprises Parti Keadilan Rakyat, DAP and PAS.

The party has so far remained nonaligned.

Yong, who pulled the party out of the BN coalition in late 2008 has however indicated that he was willing to work with PR.

Their reticence on the subject has sparked anxiety among local DAP leaders who have questioned their independent stance.

Sabah DAP vice chairman Edward Ewol Mujie on Monday issued a statement defending party chief Dr. Hiew King Cheu after SAPP leaders admonished him last week for criticising them on the issue.

"SAPP is not doing (us) any good in helping fight for the change of government," said Mujie.

"First they said they are the only party that can represent Sabahans because they are a local party and they announced they would contest in 40 state seats out of the 60 seats."

SAPP later came out with their 3-2-1 formula which boiled down to them contesting 30 state seats, keeping an open mind on 20 seats and not contesting 10.

This was followed up by an announcement that they would be contesting in 14 parliamentary seats.

The impasse has left the Sabah Pakatan Rakyat components parties, who are seeking partnership and common ground for a one-to-one tussle against the BN, in consternation.

by FMT

No comments: