Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Namewee seeks gov't funds for 1Malaysia movie

Controversial artiste Wee Meng Chee is seeking funding for his 1Malaysia-themed movie from his pet peeve - the government.


namewee name wee 1malaysia film 160310In a press conference in Kuala Lumpur today, Wee, popularly known as Namewee, said he was moved by Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak's 2010 Budget speech titled '1Malaysia, Together We Prosper'.

"I was so thrilled to know that the government has announced a budget of RM200 million for the Creative Industry Fund to finance film, drama, music productions, animation and advertisements through Bank Simpanan, for Malaysians like me.

"With all the preparations which I have done
, including translating my story into the Malay language, I want to apply for this (kind of) support also," he said.

Wee described Najib's '1Malaysia' concept as a wonderful idea and lauded its eight core values.

"So, I would like to participate in this special campaign through my own view of 1Malaysia, which instead of just (being) a slogan, I want to present a more realistic 1Malaysia story.

"I believe my
style of presentation has proven to be well-accepted by the younger generation of Malaysians, so I hope to be able to convey the message of '1Malaysia' to them through my movie."

But will he qualify?

However, Wee, is facing a major hurdle because he produces exclusively Chinese material while his script requires 60 percent Malay-content in order to qualify for the grant.

namewee pc 160310 01"I want to show them (government) that we are all 1Malaysia citizens and regardless whether I'm Malay, Indian or Chinese, I deserve to receive support from the government just like any other hardworking Malaysian," he said.

He said he has completed all the documentation necessary to apply for the grant from the National Film Development Corporation (Finas) and would submit it today.

"I will keep everyone updated through my Youtube (account)... I have high hopes for our government, so I'm confident that they will not let me down," he said.

namewee negarakuku latest song kawanku 200807Wee's music videos on Youtube have irked certain groups becaused it contained criticisms on the authorities for corruption and also made inflammatory remarks concerning religion.

He gained national prominence after he was investigated by the police for his song 'Negarakuku' because it was deemed an insult to the national anthem.

Most recently, Wee's short film on Youtube slamming government-owned utility Tenaga National Bhd for poor service has also prompted Information, Communication and Culture Ministry to initiate an investigation.

Watch his video interview:



courtesy of Malaysiakini

1 comment:

malaysia tomorrow said...

fully supported this guy! you are one real malaysian.